Aug 31, 2018

Robin Hood 103: "Who Shot The Sheriff?"

In which the Sheriff tries to make the people hate Robin Hood, we are introduced to the Nightwatchman, and Gisbourne has a political rival in Nottingham.

As the episode opens, Much calls out on Robin's need to be loved by the people (even the Sheriff comments on it later), so he tries to play it down by not taking credit for his actions 
"Do me a favor. Tell them you have not seen me. Tell them this is your own scheme. (Why?) My friends think I am vain!"
An archer goes around killing people (either popular officials or innocent people who die in attempts to kill the Sheriff or just randomly in Nottingham), and first off the people think it's Robin. The Sheriff is also aware of how much Robin needs to feel loved, and so blames all the deaths on Robin, and enjoys watching the people turn against Robin en masse... 

Robin and his men in a tussle with the villagers
Spoilers below!

Robin and his gang witness the first killing (a friendly and well-respected bailiff), and as he tries to apprehend the killer he has an encounter with a hooded archer who bests him in a tussle. His men tell him its the Nightwatchman, a figure who's been helping the people for several years now, but who to this date has never hurt anyone.

Two mysteries to be solved then: who is the Nightwatchman? And is it the same person as the mysterious murderer? Robin has Marion looking into it in the Castle. Her investigation and his lead them to the solution of both (of course!), with him being the more surprised by what he learns.

Favourite lines


If I wanted to I could write never-ending posts going on an on about the puns in this series. Actually, are they still called puns when what it is is using modern references in the dialogue? Probably not... not sure what it would be called so for now I'll stick with puns... 😏 In case it wasn't clear from the episode titles, there are A LOT of modern linguistic/pop-culture references in the dialogue. My favorite here (and clear reference to the title):
"Killer: I did it. I shot the Sheriff.  
Vaisey: No. You shot the Deputy. My lookalike."
A close second would be Robin's conversation with the bailiff at the start of the episode:
"Joderic: Two things are certain in life, death and taxes. 
Robin: But when the death is caused by the taxes, something is rotten!"

Straight out of Sherwood (or not!)

  • Robin giving money (and food) to help the poor, much to the astonishment of some of his new Merry Men.
  • Robin's dedication to saving innocent people.
  • Marian... well we have a different take on Marian here! This Marian is not just outspoken, she's an activist! She takes her "duties to help the poor" (as lady of the land) quite seriously, just not  in the usual Medieval way of giving out alms to the poor. Nope. She goes around in a  mask and hood and armed with a bow at night, to Robin's great surprise!

"Marian: My father had me taught to fight... He wanted me to have choices in the world. And I choose to help the poor. You are not about to stop me doing that. 
Robin: But does your father know what you're doing? 
Marian: He... thinks I enjoy embroidery."

Note: The notes for this post were taken when I started the series rewatch last summer, but got carried away with the episodes and never stopped and looked back to finish polishing the posts and adding photos, so posting them now. 😅

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to the magical realms of Camelot and Sherwood! Have you read/seen this? Join in the fun and share your thoughts! ;o)